Pages

Saturday 19 April 2014

Maybelline SuperStay Better Skin Foundation


The Maybelline New York stand was calling to me upon a recent wander through the 'drugstore' make-up aisles of Boots. I had initially only gone looking for Maybelline's BROWdrama but good old Boots was kindly offering 3for2 on cosmetics - naturally, the offer was too good to pass up.

If you follow me on instagram you would have seen my lack of control in the 3for2 stakes, but for now I want to just focus on the foundation. Specifically, Maybelline's New SuperStay Better Skin foundation which is available at Boots for £8.99 - link - and other stockists now.

 

 
SuperStay Better Skin comes in a 30ml pump glass bottle in 8 different shades. Blessed as I am (groan!) with deathly pale skin, I went for their lightest shade 005 Light Beige. I am often a little sceptical of such a limited range of colours but I can just about get away with this shade. It's a little pink, however not so much that I end up with tell-tale tide marks around my jawline. If I was being really picky, then this shade would work best for me in the Summer and is probably too dark for the colder Seasons.

The initial selling points for me were the sun protection - this boasts a modest SPF 20, the all day wear claim - let's see if it stands up to Lancôme's Teint Idole 24h, and the fact that it is fragrance free.

But Maybelline are also claiming a lot of other benefits with this foundation... As well as being suitable for sensitive skin, non-comedogenic and dermatologically tested, Better Skin claims to reduces the appearance of the visible effects of stress. Now I accept that it will cover bumps, dullness and redness but Maybelline state that it 'visibly improves your skin every minute you're in it' - hmmm I will reserve judgement on that for now.




The formula is thick-ish, but not too thick that it doesn't blend well and one pump is enough to cover my whole face. I have applied this with a bog standard foundation brush and so far that has worked well. It feels hydrating on the skin and gives a fresh, even finish that isn't too heavy - I would happily put this in the medium coverage category.

As a very oily-skinned individual I can be quite picky about the feel of my foundations but this actually feels quite good on my skin. It isn't sticky once applied - which is often the first sign that a foundation isn't going to work for me - and it lasts longer than I initially expected it to. I have so far worn this over a primer, and set with a powder (I wouldn't wear foundation any other way I'm afraid) and it usually lasts for 4 hours before I feel like I need to blot and its staying power sits at around 8 hours. So not quite all-day wear but remember I am oily skinned.

In terms of improving the look of your skin every time you wear it I have to say I've not really noticed a difference. Proper skin care (and lifestyle choices) in my opinion is a much better way to achieve good skin but any added extras, however tiny they might be, can only help I guess.

In all quite a nice foundation that gives good coverage, feels great, and protects your skin with SPF. Have you tried Maybelline's SuperStay Better Skin yet?
Disclaimer - Ok, don't judge me, I'm a sucker for a good old 3for2! I therefore purchased this foundation along with a multitude of other makeup items that I probably didn't need. As always, I have reviewed it with 100% honesty and I have not been sponsored for this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...