Pages

Saturday 17 March 2012

Urban Decay Naked 2 - don't mind if I do!



I know I'm late in the beauty world for jumping on the Naked 2 bandwagon, but until recently I honestly had no intention, whatsoever, of purchasing the highly anticipated second palette from Urban Decay.

I only bought the original around Christmas time last year and haven't really used that to it's full potential - so although I saw the second one would launch in Debenham's this New Year, I wasn't all that interested.

And then along came Buyapowa, my complete and utter guilty pleasure (see this ridiculous haul in a previous post) who decided to launch an Urban Decay Naked 2 palette co-buy!!!

I told myself I didn't want, or need, the second palette - yet when I got the email to say it had gone live, I rushed to the website. Alas, I was not quick enough but my fate was sealed - I now HAD to have this in my life. So last Friday, I spotted that it had creeped it's way back onto the 'coming soon' co-buy list, so I stalked twitter and, like last time, it was due to go live mid morning on the Saturday.

So as I sat in the hairdressers last Saturday, whilst having my hair slathered with dye, I avidly watched my iPhone and when the moment came, I was in there like a shot! And it arrived today....



Having ready many reviews of the Naked 2 on my regular blog reads, I wasn't whole heartedly convinced of it's superiority over the original. But now, I am decidedly for Naked 2 and less appeased with the original:

I loved the packaging of the original, but, having now seen the Naked 2 with its sleek tin (which, to me,  initially sounded really cheap and nasty) I have rapidly begun to dislike the original's felt cardboard awkwardness. One simple reason is that the gold/grey matte tin satisfyingly 'clicks' shut, whereas the original is only magnetic. Also, the mirror inside of the Naked 2 is much bigger than the original -  it fills almost the whole lid so the original is quite small in comparison.

Brushes, were definitely a good choice of Urban Decay to include, it is after all a palette of shadows that warrant blending and precise application. I love the shadow brush that came with the original, but love even more the double ended Good Karma shadow brush. I am really impressed that a set like this comes with such good quality applicators - kudos to you Urban Decay!

Many beauty buffs, were not impressed with the offerings of a Lip Junkie lip gloss with the Naked 2, and much preferred the eyeshadow primer potion that came with the original. I have to be honest, an eyeshadow primer is a far more obvious choice for an eyeshadow palette, but I really don't think I'm that disappointed with the gloss. It's a great universal colour, great handbag size and is something that I know I will get use out of. I'm also still not fully convinced that the eyeshadow primer potion suits my really oily skin for eyeshadow staying power.

     
Naked 2 arm swatches left to right: Blackout, Foxy, Half Baked, Bootycall, Chopper, Tease, Snakebite, Suspect, Pistol, Verve, YDK, Busted
In terms of the eyeshadow colours themselves, the Naked 2 has impressed me with its focus on a few more 'mink' toned browns and nudes. It is still very similar to the original (with the repeat of Half Baked something that annoyed me somewhat) but just varied enough that you can warrant owning both palettes.

The colours consist of two matte shades, a few shimmers and a load of metallics - all of which are highly pigmented, but if you're not careful, will give some fallout. I'm not going to attempt to describe these colours, you can see for yourself as I have swatched quickly in the photo above. But for a much better quality set of swatches, head over to Debenhams Beauty Club blog and better still, if you can and haven't already, I strongly suggest having a play in store with a tester. I'm not an expert on colours, I just tend to pick what I like, but Anna at Vivianna Does Makeup has made some nice comparisons and breakdowns on the Naked 2 offerings at her blog, so check that out for a bit more detail.



Now to compare between the two palettes - the original Naked and new Naked 2, both contain a mixture of cool and warm shades, again, some shimmer, some matte and some more glittery or metallic. The first Naked palette offered some more silvery/grey toned shades and a bigger variety of paler ones, whereas the Naked 2 has gone for slightly darker tones and richer browns with purple undertones.

My favourites from the original, are Sidecar, Hustle, Smog and Sin.
My favourites from the Naked 2, are Snakebite, Suspect, Verve, and Busted.
All metallics funnily enough!


Naked arm swatches left to right: Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck, Half Baked, Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle, Creep, Gunmetal
So do you need both palettes? If your a beauty addict like me then yes, of course, but let's face it - you probably already do have both! I’m saying that you should definitely invest in at least one of them, especially if you love your neutrals, but which one? Well that's your preference at the end of the day. Mine firm favourite was always the original but I have to say, I think I am now swayed to Naked 2 instead. Ah well, at least I don't have to decide between them now - I can just wear a mixture of both!

If you want to get your hands on one, then try either link below. Or if you are looking for a real bargain, check out Buyapowa - as I tweeted earlier, it has yet again, appeared on the coming soon list, so keep your eyes peeled and your wallet at the ready! It's worth keeping an eye on as it will sell out in around 20 minutes but it does get as cheap as £26 plus P&P. Bargain!! 

Urban Decay Naked palette RRP £36 - House of Fraser or Debenhams
Urban Decay Naked 2 palette RRP £36 - House of Fraser or Debenhams

Which Urban Decay Naked palette do you own? Both like me? I'd love to know which is your favourite.

4 comments:

  1. Hi. I just came across you blog and love it. Cant wait to read more in the future :) new follower. xx

    http://annieshomemadeheaven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Annie! Checking out your blog now :)

    Jem xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog!!!
    You like art and fashion?
    Take a look on my blog and if you like we can follow each other?
    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the lovely comment Marcela!
    Jem xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...